Around KogarahSunday 12:45 PM - 8:45 PM
I have an office in Kogarah (16-20 Hogben street, in the TAFE building students can attend), am also happy to conduct class at any of the libraries at USYD, and can attend students' homes within a 500m radius of Newtown station.
AboutEnglish Extension 2 is challenging, but I will make it as enjoyable and rewarding as it should be.
The HSC English Extension 2 Course is the most demanding (and rewarding) HSC English course available to high school students. It requires the completion of an extended composition (Major Work) which students live and breathe for almost 12 months, and a Reflection Statement (and don't forget about the internals!). For many students, it may be the most substantial single composition they complete in their lives (or at least until they are a postgraduate).
As a writer, I personally understand the sustained, and at times agonising, effort required to succeed in producing a Major Work, and the gnawing doubt that can affect a student’s ability, or confidence to complete (too many students discontinue!) I bring this personal understanding to all of my students, and not only assist them in completing the Course to a high standard, but also producing work they can be proud of, and happy to read many years later.
I have guided students for over five years (between, during and after degrees) through the complex requirements of the English Extension 2 Course and under my guidance and mentorship all of my students have improved their writing/composition, research skills and their internal rank.
I specialise in mentoring students in the preparation of Short Story(ies), Poem(s) and Critical Response.
I hold a Bachelor of Arts (English Literature and Art History) (2008) with First Class Honours (2009), and a Juris Doctor (2012) all from the University of Sydney. I practised as a litigation lawyer for 2 years, and left to pursue a career in writing. I will also commence a Master of Creative Writing in 2018.
As a brief overview, I assist my students with:
• all stages of planning and completing the Major Work, Journal and Reflection Statement;
• developing an extended composition which demonstrates depth, insight, originality, skills in independent investigation and textual integrity;
• your ongoing, systematic and rigorous investigation (independent research) into your chosen area;
• all of the internal assessments including the Viva Voce, Report, and Draft Major Work and Reflection on progress
Each class I provide students with a practical skill, that will not only assist in the Extension 2 Course, but also in their personal and academic lives beyond the HSC. I provide below a brief introduction, and summary, to my teaching timetable for short story composition:
First term of HSC Course (term 4):
• assist you in identifying an area of personal interest from your study of the preliminary and HSC English Advanced, and Extension Courses
• Workshop on research and research methods
• establish the foundations of your Major Work journal
• Establish a proposal and preliminary concept
• Prepare for the Viva Voce
First term into Second term (Term 4 to Term 1):
• Introduction to the rudiments of narrative (using literary examples):
• language, grammar, structure and punctuation
• Narrative point of view and narrative voice
• Style and technique
The Christmas holiday, and term 2 are dedicated to sustained, focused and practical composition (executing, and finalising a full draft of your Major Work).
Term 2-3 is dedicated to editing of the Major Work (a minimum of 8 weeks) and finalisation of the Reflection.
My term 4 rates currently on 25% sale (reduced from $90 per hour to $67 per hour). Offer open until 10pm Sunday 1 October 2017, or until all spots filled (whichever comes first). First class to discuss your concept is free (http://www.ioneducation.com.au)
- Bachelor of Arts (first class honours) (2009) USYD
- Juris Doctor (graduate law) (2012) USYD
EducationI hold a Bachelor of Arts (English and Art History) with First Class Honours (USYD) (2009), and also holds a Juris Doctor (USYD) (2012). I am enrolling into a Master of Creative Writing in 2018 to further enhance my writing skills, and am also currently working on a book of short stories about my experiences as a litigation lawyer.
- Reading modernist literature
- Reading philosophy
- Writing short realistic poems
- One-to-one tuition
- Online help (Skype)
- HSC English Extension 2
Tutoring students in
- Year 12